Listen while you read.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Parent/Teacher Conferences

This week are conferences. I decided to take on the challenge, and now I do realize why they are a challenge, of "student-led conferences." It has taken a lot of time having the students get ready for their big day. Tomorrow it will be here, and now it is suppose to snow. In Harrison, the district that I work, many of our parents walk to the school and may not come if the weather is inclement. Cross your fingers that the weather holds off until after they come. Ms. McCoy, my student teacher, and I will teach all day and then do 17 conferences after school...until 8pm tomorrow night.

The kids are sharing three pieces of work, including some writing and a math test, their favorite spot in the classroom, their 1st quarter goals and whether or not they accomplished them, and getting help with writing new goals. Having the students share the portfolio will be something new for me, so I hope they are as excited as I am. I believe it puts a little more accountability on them...something I think some 5th graders need. (My opinion only.)I am also hopeful that some students can take a turn for the positive with the support of their parents and myself!
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment