Listen while you read.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Distinguished Teacher?

I am officially in the evaluation process (completed four of six weeks) for Distinguished Teacher in my school district. It is an exciting time to go through this because this is the time of year many teachers get tired, but I have the opportunity to step it up.

The team came in and saw me this last week. It is always unannounced and so when they came through the door just as the bell rang, I didn't have my normal 15 minutes or so to wake up. The lesson couldn't have gone any better. It was reading time and we were review story elements. I decided to read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. The students participation was at its height and my energy with them was obvious. We finished up our whole class time and then I was observed doing a small group for reading. At the beginning of the year, I had 14 students well below grade level, and as of last week, was officially told by the middle school that pre-assess them, that my class was on grade level or above. I already knew that most were there, or very close, so hearing from someone else is always nice. She actually asked if our classes were leveled (meaning, did I have the high class?). I replied, "Nope, we've worked really hard!"

Either way, distinguished or not, I have one of the most rewarding jobs that exist and am very fulfilled by what I am entrusted with daily: teaching children!

No comments:

Post a Comment