Listen while you read.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

You Take the Good, You Take the Bad...

You take them both and there you have, the facts of life!
Some days are better than others. There have been better days. I am stressed out and super busy with race directing right now. The American Discovery Trail Marathon is coming up on Labor Day. This is my second year directing it, and although this year has been a breeze compared to last, it all just went crazy! We are about 5 weeks out, and it is the time when I make sure all of the final touches are in order. Are the medals in the U.S.? Volunteers for all 14 aid stations? Emergicare for the finishline? Shirts ordered? Post-race food? Ice? Sound? Port-o-Potties for several areas? Dumpster? Bibs? More rooms for Hotel(we've booked over 100)? Truck rentals? The list goes on. Really it does. I have a committee of 20+ people, but it still seems like the details fall on me. I know it will all come together, as last year it did without any hitches.

PT was not the greatest either. I had the best day ever yesterday. I was actually complaining about them giving me exercises that were too easy. Then when I got home, I decided to go out with Marc in the yard and fiddle around. I won't go into detail. Maybe I weeded some. Maybe. Then today, BAMM! It hit me bad. I went to PT and he said I had some swelling in my hip which is, inadvertantly, making my right leg longer. To stand straight, I have to bend that leg. Here's the bad news: I can't go off of my crutch until I can stand up straight without bending the right leg. It will be a bit. I needed my crutch today. I wanted it. So I decided to accept that I will have it for the first day of school. Once I decide I'm okay with something, it really is okay.

Friendships. One of the hardest parts of this whole "injury" thing has been to figure out how friendships are going to develop or even change. I'm talking about the friendships that were built on my ability to run. Some of my friendships DID start that way, but then grew into more. Some didn't. The ones that didn't, it's easy-I haven't seen them since the day I couldn't run anymore. The ones that are something more-I see them all of the time. I'm not going to lie though, it has been hard. On both ends. They try to keep up with including me in the things that they do, to the point that it hurts sometimes-emotionally. Do I feel that it is intentional? Of course not. I TRY to be understanding that they are all still carrying on with their plans. Inside I understand, but I don't think it always come off that way. I am not sure what is harder, being injured and waiting to come back, or being the friends that are trying to include me. Either way, today has been hard for that too.

For all of the bad days I have, I have ten good ones, AT LEAST! That is a fact of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment