Listen while you read.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

14 Days Until Surgery

I titled this post with a number because I am actually excited for two reasons: first, I have 14 more days OFF of crutches (today was day two) and secondly, I have waited for a while for the big day to come. I was able to speak with Dr. White for about 30 minutes last night on my way home from school. He had a lot to tell me. He started with my stress fracture. He said the report stated it was "resolved" and he would be able to do my surgery. So I said, "My super huge question is can I go off of my crutches?" He follows up with, "Well, they haven't sent me your films yet and I would like to see them before I say for sure." The MRI images were sent with me because they said it would take 7-10 days for them to get them there, so it is up to me to mail them. So I asked him if he wanted me to overnight them...and he said, "Just put them in the mail." I pleaded with him for 16 days of freedom from crutches and he finally said it would be reasonable, but if I felt pain to go back on them. (Today I overdid it and I have been sitting for the last two hours.) In the meantime, I asked him if he would "freak" if I asked him if I could go for a jog. At this point, I got total silence. "Are you going to do okay with your recovery post surgery Sara?" I explained that my friends were wondering and i just needed some Dr's orders. He said, "I'll be the bad guy...Yes, I would freak! You can't jog!" I told him I would do whatever he wanted me to in recovery. So he proceeded to tell me more details for surgery...
1. I will not be able to run for 6 months.
2. I will not be able to get on a road bike for 3 months. I will be able to spin without resistance.
3. I will be able to swim AFTER 4 weeks with a pull buoy. No kicking.
4. I will not be able to drive for 3-4 weeks. (Right hip thing.)
5. I will be on crutches for 2-4 weeks most likely, but he can't guarantee that I'll be off in 4 weeks-the day I go back to school.
6. I stay overnight in the hospital. For some reason, I thought I came home.
7. Will I ever run a marathon again? He doesn't know.
Those are all of the questions I can think of right now. Dr. White takes as much time as necessary to answer my questions. He called me at night to give me my results...something no other doctor has done. He is very down to earth. I'm glad that I ended up with him. Thanks again Noell, and congrats on your race!

1 comment:

  1. ahhhh Sara! Great news! And thanks! Saturdays the BIG day!

    ReplyDelete