Listen while you read.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Let the Nesting Begin

I am a big time nester. I always have been. Well, ever since my first daughter was born 14 years ago this coming July 8th. So I find it ironic that 14 years ago, I was probably beginning to nest around this time for her arrival and now I find myself doing it for my surgery. I have mentally been gearing up for it, but now that I am off of crutches I feel capable of accomplishing the world, physically. And this only means one thing: my house! In summer, I organize here and there, but I kicked it into high gear today with my girls. I told them this morning before they left for their last day of Skribble Camp that when they got home we were tackling their toy room. Since my youngest is going into 7th grade and my older into high school, I felt it time to go through those toys and get rid of the ones they haven't "played" with in the last, oh, three years. We had bags all over the room: three bags of trash, one bag for a little girl down the street with Polly Pocket goodies in it, and two bags with clothes that had been sitting in a dresser (who knows). I let them keep all of their Build-A-Bear things, because half are their baby dresses from when they were one years old or younger. Christian ended up with a hat on...a baby hat that I said they couldn't get rid of. We ended up playing tug-of-war with a bag that I was making Christian get rid of...she would be a hoarder if I let her. We all laughed and laughed and laughed. It was so much fun. They were dreading it, but in the middle Halee said, "Mom, I think we should just do our bedroom too." Speaking of middle of it...they got a a text from an acquaintance at school. This girl is was having her birthday party and only person had shown up. She was wondering if Christian was going to come. Christian did not want to go, but after talking about it, all three of us, they felt like it was important for them both to go. Of course this girl was thrilled when Christian said Halee could come to...a big 9th grader! Plus, then she would have a few more people at her party. We talked about how they were doing something that was selfless for this girl to make her day special. I was so proud of them. Because it was short notice, we didn't have a gift, so Christian put some of her money in a card that I had on hand, and gave it to the girl. We dropped our "organization" project right in the middle of it, you can imagine (at the part where it gets worse before it gets better), but I couldn't be more happy to do so. I am headed up to go finish the project alone. I want to get going on this whole nesting thing. But most importantly, it is days like these where I feel blessed that I get to spend every day with my three very best friends, Marc and our two girls! (He's on his way home as I write.)

No comments:

Post a Comment